Tuesday 26 December 2017

"I'm Nothing Special. Everyone Has A Day Job."

"I mean, life's not a comic book, right, Doctor?"
This 40mm-tall "pewter" model of the Ghost, as played by actor Justin Chatwin, is produced by “Warlord Games” and forms part of the two-figure strong "The Return Of Doctor Mysterio" boxed set which I recently reviewed for the "Doctor Who News" website. Having mistakenly swallowed the Hazandra instead of medicine in a childhood accident, the masked super-hero teamed up with the Twelfth Doctor against the Harmony Shoal in the 2016 "Doctor Who" Christmas Special and demonstrated that he could fly, had super-strength, super-hearing, and x-ray vision and was a

Initially undercoated with two layers of "Citadel" Abaddon Black, the pyrokinetic's angular armour was roughly dry-brushed with "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal,  'highlighted' with Heavy Blue, and later washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil. I then 'picked out' the crime-fighter's chest insignia with a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Red and "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson, and was going to try and actually 'draw in' the emblem's metallic 'G' which is so visible on the official "Into The Time Vortex" professionally painted miniature.
Jamie McCrimmon WIP - The Highlander has been based and primed, ready for detailing
Unfortunately, I didn't like my chances of making a good job of it, so, fearing I might 'botch-up' my somewhat clean, existing paint-job, I decided to simply leave well enough alone and move on to the Ghost's skin. These small areas were quickly covered using a coat of "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone, a watered-down wash of "Citadel" Reikland Fleshshade, and a few additional dabs of (more) "Vallejo Heavy Skintone. Finally, I shaded the super-hero's "Vallejo" Turquoise cape with some "Citadel" Nuln Oil.

Sticking with both "Doctor Who" and Christmas, I was rather pleased to receive "an exclusive miniature of Jamie McCrimmon" for the "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" tabletop game as a Yuletide present. This figure is only being sold by Frazer Hines via his "website and at events", and is seemingly sculpted to replicate the mid-eighteenth century Highland Scot during the 1968 eight-parter "The Invasion". Perhaps this metal model's most attractive feature however, was that it came with a personal message from the English born actor wishing me a "Happy Xmas".
First Doctor & Twelfth Doctor WIPs - Both Timelords have been re-based and primed
Similarly exciting for me, has been this year's "Doctor Who" Christmas Special, "Twice Upon A Time". I actually got to see Peter Capaldi's swansong a few days early, due to being asked by the "Doctor Who News" website to write a thousand-word review of the programme, which could then be published just as the show's transmission ended. This activity really got me in the mood to paint up a second Twelfth Doctor and, obviously, the "Gale Force  Nine" version of the "original" Timelord.

Perhaps unsurprisingly therefore, I've already 'cut' both resin figures off of their stands, super-glued them onto a couple of 30mm lipped circular bases, and primed them "Citadel" Abaddon Black and "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre respectively. William Hartnell's model strikes me as being especially challenging, on account of his patterned trousers, but, thanks to some incredible hatch-markings actually cut into the resin, I'm hoping a shade and subsequent dry-brush might suffice..?

20 comments:

  1. Nice job on the Ghost, very nice special edition model Simon. On the trousers of the first Dr try a glaze rather than a wash of the colour you need

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. The Ghost's cloak has come out a lot bluer in the photographs than it is to the naked eye, so I'm happy enough with him. I'll dig around and see if I've suitable glazes - I don't tend to use them tbh.

      Delete
    2. You can turn a wash into a glaze by adding water or glaze medium, if using medium one drop to two drops wash, if using water usually equal water or ore water to wash

      Delete
    3. Well I definitely don't have any glaze medium, Dave, so it'll have to be water :-)

      Delete
  2. The Ghost looks okay, apart from the gloss varnish! How cool to receive the limited edition Jamie figure. That must have pleased you no end. :-)
    I read your review of the latest "Doctor Who" Christmas special and let's just say that you and I have very different opinions of it and leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. On this occasion I don't think the pics of the Ghost do him justice at all as "Vallejo" Turquoise clearly doesn't respond well to a combination of gloss varnish and camera flash. However, having seen a preview of the Ghost's Recruitment Card for "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" he'll certainly be getting some tabletop coverage once his official statistics have been released; he's a "One Man Army" like the Fisher King :-)

      Frazer Hines is a top chap and even briefly made contact with me on FB when I originally posted how thrilled I was with his involvement in "Doctor Who: Exterminate!". As I'm sure you know, its personal touches like this that really bring on the hobby mojo :-)

      As far as "Twice Upon A Time" is concerned, hopefully we can both agree that some miniatures based upon David Bradley and Mark Gatiss' characters would be nice, and I'd actually even like another of Capaldi with his long(ish) hair and tattered clothes too.

      Delete
    2. I totally agree with you about David Bradley and Mark Gatiss - superb performances from them both. There were things about the show that I liked a lot and things I disliked intensely, but overall, not too bad.

      Delete
    3. "David Bradley and Mark Gatiss - superb performances from them both" - Absolutely, Bryan :-)

      Delete
  3. Wow! You've wasted no time at all getting a 'Twixtmas' post up, and what a corker - some great looking mini's Simon :-)
    No comment on the Christmas Special, as I had no time to watch it - it's safely recorded on the Q box for when I put my feet up today ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I've a bit of a backlog mounting, what with my annual Top Ten minis posting, a 2017 review article which Ivor Evans gave me an idea to do, and my usual monthly (Lead) Mountain Musings, so I've reverted to a posting every two days over the Yuletide festivities.

      I hope you do enjoy the "Doctor Who" Christmas Special - There's some cracking performances in it from the guest stars, imho.

      Delete
  4. Awesome work dude! Will have to have a look around the range as there are some useful looking minis there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. The "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" range has definitely been my favourite of 2017 :-)

      Delete
  5. Good Stuff.
    free figures are the best type of figures.
    Not seen the Xmas Dr Who yet. Personally I would have liked a Chinese Dr. As we do not see enough Chinese Actors and Hong Kong was part of the empire for so long. No offense to any female Dr at all but a Male Dr would be best as what other ACTION hero is male and does not resort to violence. If you can name one I take my hat of to you sir. (That's Action Hero NOT detective! So Sherlock Holmes does not count!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint. I suppose Doc Savage is pretty close, but does engage in fisticuffs, and Batman doesn't kill (but is definitely violent). A terrific conundrum indeed :-)

      Delete
  6. All good additions to your @Who' collection, especialy the 'Jamie' character whom I rmemeber well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. Glad this one has a familiar face for you :-)

      Delete
  7. Fantastic stuff Simon! And how neat to get a personalized note with your figure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Ivor. I've met Frazer Hines a couple of times and he's an utter gent imho :-)

      Delete
  8. Excellent work on The Ghost Simon, and great to see your hard work supporting the Who game being rewarded. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. "Warlord Games" have been very generous in their support of my efforts with regards to "Doctor Who: Exterminate!"

      Delete