Sunday 17 December 2017

"This Is The Captain Of The Enterprise."

"We come in peace. Shoot to kill."
This 32mm scale "soft resin" model of James Tiberius Kirk is manufactured by “​Modiphius Entertainment” and was supposedly only made available to those signing up for the official "Star Trek Adventures" play-test at the London-based company's stands whilst they were at "GenCon, Essen Spiele and Dragonmeet." Fortunately, I was able to acquire one at  last year's "Warfare" in Reading, when I happened upon their stall and realised that they still owned a few 'castings' of the Constitution-Class Starship Captain. Needless to say, as a major fan of "Star Trek: The Original Series", I didn't hesitate for a second to 'bag' Jim, despite “​Modiphius Entertainment” still having some Jean-Luc Picards on hand as well.

Because the single-piece figure stood upon a moulded circular base, I had to cut Kirk's stand down in order to accommodate it upon a 28mm lipped plastic base before I primed him with  "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre and "Citadel" Abaddon Black. I then 'picked out' the officer's famous chest insignia with a combination of "Vallejo" Gold and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade, and momentarily contemplated doing the same with the Captain's rank insignia on his sleeves.
The Silence WIPs - The "confessional priests" just need some washes to be applied
Unfortunately, despite being very-well proportioned, the detail on the sculpt is extremely fine and thus requires a far steadier hand than I in order to 'highlight' such an intricate ridge pattern with a paint-brush; especially using my 'tried and trusted' black lining technique. In the end therefore, I settled on simply washing James' shirt with some watered down "Citadel" Reikland Fleshshade, and caused the "Games Workshop" Shade to pool somewhat more in the area of his braiding.

Kirk's phaser was painted using some Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil, whilst his hair was treated to a layer of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and a splash of "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. “​Interestingly, "Modiphius Entertainment” have stated that this particular model will be made available "as part of various sets", but, having bought their Star Trek Adventures Miniatures: The Original Series Bridge Crew, there's a disappointingly clear 'chunkiness' difference between this lean free pre-release figure and that of the regular beefier version.
Professor Yana and Chantho WIP - Early days yet for this pair of Malcassairo-based scientists
Sticking with science fiction, I have made some more progress on a trio of "Warlord Games" Silents I need so as to be able to field a three Recruitment Card faction of the religious order for the "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" officially licensed desktop miniatures game. I've actually stepped outside the "confessional priests" canon colour-scheme by providing their "Unique" Leader with a blue shirt, and thereby making him 'stand out' on the battlefield a little bit more...

Finally, having bought the recently-released "The War Master - Only The Good" audio boxed set by "Big Finish", I've also based and primed the two "Into The Time Vortex" miniatures from the Nottingham-based company's "Professor Yana and Chantho" expansion. This particular sculpt of the Master's (good) alter-ego has taken some criticism on fan forums for its soft detail, but I'm hoping I'll be able to persevere and get him (and his companion) up to table-top standard.

26 comments:

  1. Great job on the Captain. I find his with most 32mm. The details on many is far to shallow and any fine detail is soon lost even beneath the thinnest of coats.

    Keep up the momentum your doing great with all these Sci fi minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Simon. I was hoping to paint my second Kirk with his 'green' shirt, but as this pre-release version doesn't now seem to fit in with the regular 'chunkier' models, I'll be doing a repeat performance.

      There's plenty of sci-fi yet to come over the next month or so, as its really caught my imagination currently, and I've so much which has been previously partially-painted too :-)

      Delete
  2. Brilliant stuff, love the sci-fi posts :) Being a "classic" trek fan have you seen Star Trek Continues on You Tube? Absolutely amazing, felt like I was a kid watching on Saturday afternoons again - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJf2ovQtI6w

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ivor. I have seen that YouTube channel, and as you say, the shows are awesome. More "Star Trek" minis coming soon...

      Delete
  3. Well done and a nice job on all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always prefer your sci-fi posts to your fantasy posts. The detail on Kirk does seem to be lacking, but I like the pose of the figure.
    When I painted Professor Yana, I struggled to get his eyes right. But on my third attempt, I nailed it. His face is not easy to paint but if you can get it right, the rest will be a doddle. Chantho, however, was very easy to paint. Best of luck with all of your "Doctor Who" figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. There's plenty of detail on Kirk, TBH, but it's so tiny it's hard to see properly, let alone paint. I've some Not-Trek "Space Vixens From Mars" in the queue - which I believe you like - so I'm hopeful they'll be more fun to paint.

      Likewise I'm hoping Yana and Chantho will b nice straightforward subjects to paint. Plenty more "Dr Who" to come as I continue to try and clear out that particular drawer :-)

      Delete
  5. Star Trek figures are always good, but when will we see a game that involves them :-) ? Mind you, I shouldn't be criticising anyone else for this, as I'm in exactly the same situation myself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! This is my first finished "Star Trek" figure, Hugh, and doesn't now seem a good fit for the rest of the range - so you might be waiting a while yet for a BatRep :-) Of course, I do have a few "Space Vixens From Mars" not-Trek minis to paint yet ;-)

      Delete
  6. You've done a great job on James T, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Yana and Chantho mini's when you've worked your magic on them - I can't say anything about the Silents for some reason, I seem to forget what they look like every time I return to the comments box ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Greg!! I've a fair few "Dr Who" minis on the go currently, so expect to see plenty more over the coming weeks :-)

      Delete
  7. Nice work on the kirk model Simon, the who models are coming along nicely, and continuing on well with your clearing of part painted models

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Just the one finished partially-painted model this posting, but a few more to come yet ;-)

      Delete
    2. Any progress shots that get you a step further to the goal have to be good

      Delete
    3. Oh absolutely, and they'll be plenty of WIPs coming I assure you :-)

      Delete
  8. Even I recognised Kirk!
    I'm very impressed with the sculpt, even given the shallow detail; you've done a great job following his uniform colouring faithfully, shading and detailing coming out superbly too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. Its a good sculpt tbh, just a little disappointing that its not in scale with the rest of the range - now the "TOS" Bridge Crew have been released.

      Delete
  9. That`s an interesting model of Kirk, I`m like to see a similar one done of Spock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get the Bridge Crew painted in the New Year, Steve, and Spock will obviously be part of that. But the style has noticeably changed since this pre-release Kirk was produced.

      Delete
    2. soooo, is this another game you plan to be playing? which rules Simon?

      Delete
    3. Well I'm sure you won't be surprised to know I'm thinking of "Mutants & Death Ray Guns", Steve. Although I have an old set of self-made rules which I might also utilize for some 'pick up and play' stuff. It depends upon what the future mini releases are tbh.

      Delete
    4. Oo now that r-e-a-l-l-y- interests me, I wondered if you`d go M&DRG or not... and would love to your own rules actually.

      Delete
    5. Stay tuned then, Steve, as "M.I.S.S." (Moore's Incredibly Simple System) could be appearing on one of your favourite blogs very soon ;-)

      Delete
  10. Nicely done on Captain Kirk Blaxkleric. :)

    I didn't realise that Modiphus had made some limited editions of their range -= did they do another Kirk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. This Kirk (and the single-piece Picard) were released when the "Star Trek" RPG was first announced to show what sort of minis would be made. I suppose it is rather limited as an edition now as a result. The boxed sets have their own Kirk & Picard, but both are noticeably different in chunky style etc.

      Delete