Tuesday 12 December 2017

"I'm The Doctor. I've Lived For Over 2,000 Years."

"I've made made many mistakes, and it's about time that I did something about that."
This 38mm-tall "pewter" model of the Twelfth Doctor as played by Peter Capaldi, is produced by “Warlord Games” and forms part of the five-miniature strong "Twelfth Doctor And Companions" boxed set. "A lifelong fan of the series", the Scottish actor had previously played Lobus Caecilius in the 2008 episode "The Fires of Pompeii", and made his (official) debut as the travelling Time Lord in the December 2013 BBC television story "The Time of the Doctor".

Originally primed with two layers of "Citadel" Abaddon Black, the Gallifreyan's trousers, waistcoat, sonic shades and guitar strap were dry-brushed with "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal and then washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil. His electric guitar,  apparently "a limited edition 1966 Epiphone SG-400 Pro with the addition of a Bigsby Vibrato" was painted using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Red and "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson.
Ogrons WIPs - The "ape-like hominids" have had their trousers blocked in with "Vallejo" Heavy Brown
The time traveller's collar was simply 'picked out' with a sliver of "Vallejo" Dead White and a dab of Pale Grey. Whilst his greying hair was initially layered with Heavy Bluegrey, washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and then dry-brushed with both (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey and Dead White. As a final touch, I added some additional "Citadel Black" to his boots and coat in order to help them slightly contrast with the Timelord's off-black trousers and waistcoat; a somewhat controversial colour choice considering that the official "Warlord Games" palette provided him with an all-red jacket, whereas the actual televised costume contained a slightly visible dark red inner lining.

To be honest I'm in two minds about this particular sculpt of the Doctor. It's clearly based upon ‘The Hybrid will stand in the ruins of Gallifrey…’ BBC publicity poster for the December 2015 story "Hell Bent", and resultantly, does a very good job of conveying Capaldi's grim-faced determination to outwit the machinations of Rassilon and the High Council. But, its also been criticised by others for being far too sedentary for a war-gaming figure, with the "Gale Force Nine" resin alternative version proving to be infinitely more dynamic a pose. Personally, having now spent some considerable time handling the figure, I rather like the pose and simply dislike the fictitious character's guitar and (arguably contentious) sonic shades...
"Victrix Limited" French Fusilier WIPs - The soldier is slowly having all his straps 'picked out'
Momentarily sticking with the "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" miniatures game by "Warlord Games", I have made some slow-going in-roads on the half dozen Ogrons I started working on over three months ago. These "low-intelligence, ape-like hominids" have yet to have their Recruitment and Adventure Cards published as a PDF on the "Into The Time Vortex" website, but have now languished on my painting table for long enough and should help push along my Partially-Painted Pledge Challenge personal tally once completed.

Likewise, I am determined to bring an end to the outstanding single Napoleonic French fusilier I need to finish in order field a fifth infantry stand for Bob Cordery's "The Portable Wargame" rule-set. This particular 28mm multi-pose plastic soldier is actually proving a rather enjoyable painting subject, as I increasingly become familiar with Bonaparte's undoubtedly detailed uniform and (hopefully) improving my eye for all its straps, cuffs and pouches.

24 comments:

  1. Well done that man, you must be delighted to see this one completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. A bit of a short-cut with the guitar and inside lining, but not something I think you'll readily spot from 4 foot away on a table-top.

      Delete
  2. Keep going you're doing well. I do miss the Ogrons, I wonder if they'll ever be revamped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. I think revamping the Ogrons, or at least introducing them would be a natural next step in the evolution of 'Nu Who' Daleks.

      Delete
  3. You're getting through your lead mountain slowly but surely. I look forward to seeing the Ogrons completed. I do like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. Mr Capaldi has been sat primed and waiting for an incredibly long time, so it was good to get him tabletop ready.

      Delete
  4. +1 to the tally. More than I've done this week. The Ogrons looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Hah, Roy. I'm going to make you my blog's official tally-keeper :-) The Ogrons have some nice clean lines on them, which are actually a bit difficult to 'black line' with my usual style, so they're taking a bit of time tbh - but should be well worth the effort when finished.

      Delete
  5. Nice work on the Doctor, and in good time for the BBC 'Christmas Special' :-)
    You seem to be enjoying working through "the pile" to the extant that maybe (just maybe) you'll be sticking to your 'no new mini's' pledge without too much effort :-)
    Well done that man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I'm certainly enjoying my 'horde' currently, and clearing some table space. I do have some new minis coming as a result of presents etc, and, K-9, freebies. But they'll almost all be taking back-seats until I'm confident I can achieve my Partially-Painted Pledge Challenge.

      Delete
  6. Oh dear, that version of the Doctor must be my least favourite (having never come across the TV version doesn't help), but I do have to wonder at his heioght - good paintjob nevertheless.
    The Ogron, does look like a very 'cheap' alien to me -must have been low on budget for that !
    And another fusilier nearlhy done...what can I say

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. Mr Capaldi's incarnation of the Doctor does seem to cause some real polar opposite reactions, tbh. The Ogron was one of Jon Pertwee's fave monsters, along with the Draconians, apparently, so I was keen to get them going after so long a stall. No-one will be happier than I when this fourth and (for now) final Frenchman is finished :-)

      Delete
  7. loving the Doctor mini. As a professional guitar player (and teacher) I really appreciate the in joke about the limited edition 1966 Epiphone SG-400 Pro with the addition of a Bigsby Vibrato. Cool beans Simon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I did consider trying to 'pick out' some of the finer details on the guitar, but they appeared so fiddly and tiny, that I figured it wasn't worth it; especially as you can't them from a few feet away.

      Delete
  8. You're certainly cracking on with various models, Simon. Although your tally seems rather low given where we are in the month. I'm guessing that several models are 'almost' there, so the figure shoukd rise as the end of the month draws closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. Yes, I have a few batches which should see the tally leap up from time to time. One of my biggest issues is whether I have enough posting slots across the next four months for all the minis I want to show off ;-)

      Delete
  9. Nice looking Dr and good work on the fusilier, I remember reading a Dr Who book during a school sports day which had Ogrons on the cover, looking forward to seeing them painted!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I'm a huge fan of the Ogrons, so expect them to be finished quite soon :-)

      Delete
  10. [From: Simon Quinton] - "Lovely job on the Doctor mate. Nice start on the Ogron's and the Dark side figure."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. Tempted to apint a third Doctor up now and have three on them together as a single Faction ;-)

      I see "Blogger" is playing up with the comments for some reason too!?!

      Delete
  11. Nice work on the twelfth Doctor mate. Good stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon. Good to get him done and out the way; especially as I'm getting his alternative sculpt for Christmas.

      Delete
  12. The doctor looks great I love what you've done with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. I'm rather pleased with how he turned out myself.

      Delete