Tuesday 25 June 2019

"Powerful Enchanters Created An Army Of Granite Golems..."

"...To tear stone from the mountains and shape it into great blocks..."
This 49mm tall model of a Stone Golem is produced by “Reaper Miniatures” and can be bought as Code 77171 from their “Bones” range. A “unique monster” with a deep hatred of Wizards who rampages through the ruins of the Frozen City, the Granite Golem is the focus of the 2015 “Frostgrave” mini-campaign supplement “The Hunt For The Golem” by Jospeh A. McCullough.

"Slowly rendered obsolete by more effective elemental magic that was both less expensive and less time-consuming", the creature was primed using an old out-of-production pot of "Citadel" Charadon Granite, shaded with Nuln Oil and dry-brushed using some (more) Charadon Granite. In order for the construct’s skirt to stand out somewhat from the rest of its body, I subsequently painted the area in "Vallejo" Steel Grey, washed it with "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and then dry-brushed it with (more) "Vallejo" Steel Grey.
"Reaper Miniatures" WIPs - A Clay Golem and (another) Mind-Eater
The Stone Golem's belt-buckle, bracelets and head-piece were pigmented with a combination of “Citadel” Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil. Whilst the "lone survivor" had its eyes ‘picked out’ with a dollop of "Vallejo" Heavy Red and a little splash of "Citadel" Glaze Bloodletter. Lastly, the recently thawed out creature had its based flocked with “Citadel” Snow so as to better fit in with the rest of my painted “Frostgrave” collection.

Sticking with "Reaper Miniatures" and their “Bones” range, I have also made some significant progress on two more of the Fort Worth founded company’s Mind Eaters, and a Clay Golem. All three of these polymer plastic models are destined for my “Gamma World” tabletop and have rather motivated me to dig out many more figures from their “Chronoscope”, “Dark Heaven Legends” and “Reich Of The Dead” lines.
Pulp Apes WIPs - These hefty metal models have been undercoated and shaded
In addition, I have taken possession of four 44mm tall metal Pulp Apes from a private commission, which are perfect proxies for the Shadow Beasts depicted on the “He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe” animated television series. Despite being described on the “Wiki Grayskull” website as having dark brown fur, I’ve decided to paint the “fierce nocturnal creatures” in the dark purple palette shown during the episode “Night Of The Shadowbeasts”.

As with my recently returned interest in “Reaper Miniatures”, this latest arrival has also disconcertingly piqued my enthusiasm for all things Eternia and the secrets of Castle Greyskull. So perhaps unsurprisingly I have been rummaging around my substantial backlog looking for a number of figures I have previously purchased relating to Prince Adam’s alter-ego and his endless battle against the evil forces of Skeletor.

14 comments:

  1. These Reaper minis are looking really great and are making me want to paint some fantasy warband minis and some beasties to oppose them so I have been looking through some of Frostgrave books to get inspiration! Whether that will happen is another thing. I don't remember those ape things from He-Man but it did get weird as I recall! Good stuff as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. The "Reaper Miniatures" are definitely flying off my paintbrush currently, with both the Clay Golem and two Mind-Eaters now almost finished. Hopefully I'll have some more "Bones" on show too. As for "He-Man", well... we'll have to see how many minis I can dig out from my collection ;-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely job on the Stone Golem mate. Your certainly working your way through the big gribblies at the minute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. I'm really enjoying the "Reaper Miniatures" currently, and have dug out a few more to try and keep the momentum going.

      Delete
  3. awesome as always man.
    i gotta take some time and look through and see what Reaper has to offer. they have so much to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr. Martin. I've had to stop myself a couple of times this week from buying more "Bones" as I keep seeing minis I've not spotted before, but want to finish what I own first.

      Delete
  4. Lovely job Simon, Reaper a certainly have some cracking sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. I couldn't agree more :-)

      Delete
  5. I had, possibly still have these figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're well worth digging out if you do, Fran, or well worth buying if you don't ;-)

      Delete
  6. Reaper do have an amazing eclectic mix of figures and the golems are great - superb job on the stone Golem btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanks very much indeed, Joe, and I entirely agree about "Reaper Miniatures" and their eclectic mix of figure :-)

      Delete
  7. Fantastic additions to your collection!
    These Clay Golems are looking great.
    However, I'm really interested to see how these Pulp Apes are going to work out. They look like great sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Wouter. I'm hoping to get the Pulp Apes finished real soon... especially as they could get me more than interested in some other "He-Man" themed figs.

      Delete