Wednesday 16 October 2019

“Cringe, You Pitiful Human Worms!”

"You... And unsuspecting millions... shall perish!"
These eight 28mm scale plastic “Wizkids” models of an Ultron Drone are all miniature number 015 from the "Marvel" Age Of Ultron "Heroclix" range, and represent some of the numerous basically-programmed replica robots the adamantium armoured super-villain Ultron has created during his various attempts to destroy the Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. Capable of creating an overwhelming “robotic swarm” around an adversary, these bio-synthezoids were initially bought in bulk from “Ebay” as a potential quick-scoring entry for the Ninth Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge, but ended up being sidelined in favour of some Dire Wraiths…

Following the semi-patient removal of each figure from their ‘clicky-base’, the automatons were super-glued onto 25mm circular stands, and roughly undercoated with "Citadel" Abaddon Black so as to predominantly ‘cover-up’ their bright silver pre-paint. I then applied a double-coat of Ironbreaker to all eight models, before enthusiastically washing the horde in Nuln Oil, and later dry-brushing them with (more) Ironbreaker. 
"My sensors are locked on target!"
With the basics completed, I turned my attention to ‘picking out’ each Ultron Drone’s small internal nuclear furnace, which is visible through their eye-slits and mouth. This was actually quite easily done in the main, using a combination of “Vallejo” Heavy Red and “Citadel” Carroburg Crimson. However, having reviewed the official “Wizkids” colour scheme, I quickly spotted that their paint-job showed the red hot energy source glowing through the front of the robot’s jawline too.

Honing my “Windsor & Newton” University Series 233 000 brush-tip to a particularly fine point, I therefore attempted to ‘dab in’ this extra detail, but quickly discovered that any noticeable trace of a gap between the metal machine’s forward-facing rectangular choppers was long-gone. As a result my additional ‘dollop’ of “Vallejo” Heavy Red looked decidedly odd, so I swiftly set about ‘correcting’ all eight of the replicas with a dash of “Citadel” Ironbreaker and splash of Nuln Oil…
"Diehard Miniatures" WIPs - This Skeletal Spaceman has been primed, washed, and had his axe picked out
Recently I've been pointed in the direction of "Diehard Miniatures", and as a result thought I'd pick up a parcel of metal miniatures to potentially submit for "Zomtober" 2019. One such figure is an awesome-looking undead astronaut from the company's Skeletal Spacemen collection, which I thought I might paint as a predominantly white-suited luckless NASA cosmonaut.

To be honest this particular range has really sparked my imagination, so I'm hoping to build up quite the brain-munching horde over the next few months. In addition, I've purchased some of their colourful Chaos characters too, which are enjoyably reminiscent of the worlds of "2000 A.D.", "Star Wars" and some other science fiction-flavoured genres.

20 comments:

  1. Nice work Simon. They all look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Simon. As re-paints they've they've turned out well, imho.

      Delete
  2. Excellent work on your Ultron drones. That skeletal spaceman is an absolutely cracking little figure. He should be a joy to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I'm hoping to showcase a lot of "Diehard Miniatures" Undead range over the coming months. They have a lot of character.

      Delete
  3. The ultron figures look great, like pumped Cybermen. I do like the not Dr Who astronauts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I've painted a few versions of Ultron, but up until now didn't really have that many minions for him. Hopefully I can get an Avengers vs Ultron game set-up in the near future :-)

      Delete
  4. awesome. just watched Avengers: AoU. this are nicely looking.
    that Skeletal Spaceman is gonna look cool. cant wait to see the final result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mr Martin, much appreciated. All the "Diehard Miniatures" are good, imho, so hopefully you'll enjoy the range as I roll them out :-)

      Delete
  5. Great looking figures Simon. You'll need a new pot of silver paint if you get anymore of these chaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. I certainly am going through my "Citadel" Ironbreaker currently, LOL!!

      Delete
  6. They look really impressive en masse so to speak - quite a formidable force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. Hopefully I can get them on the tabletop soon for some super-hero gaming.

      Delete
  7. Nice work on the Ultron drones Simon, the skele looks cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Simple stuff, but the Skellie looks likely to be a bit more time-consuming.

      Delete
  8. Love that spaceman model, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Fran. I'm sure plenty more "Diehard Miniatures" will be featuring on the blog over the next few months.

      Delete
  9. Well those Ultron models came out of nowhere. They look effective, especially en masse. That astro skeleton looks interesting too, yet another manufacturer I had no idea existed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. I always have a hidden stack of minis to paint quickly when I'm struggling with my more detailed projects, and these Ultron drones are a good case in point. "Diehard Miniatures" are well worth a look, and should get a few spotlights on this blog over the coming few months.

      Delete
  10. I like the drones, a lot, shame they havn't got more variety in their poses.
    They're like formula one Cybermen !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. I think with a careful bit of cutting, you could probably move the arms at the shoulders and turn the head. But as these are just minions I wasn't too bothered tbh.

      Delete