Monday 4 January 2021

(Lead) Mountain Musings - "Marvel Crisis Protocol" January 2021

"Marvel Crisis Protocol" WIPs - The Black Widow and The Punisher

This month's attempt to reduce my embarrassing backlog of metal, plastic and resin models should be significantly helped by Dave Stone's "Paint What You Got Challenge" over on his excellent "Wargames Terrain Workshop" blog. The event is scheduled to run until the end of February 2021, and will hopefully encourage me to bring to a successful end a number of partially-painted projects I started during the past year or so.

To begin with I'll be settling down to complete the ten-figure strong roster I need in order to play "Marvel Crisis Protocol" by "Atomic Mass Games". This "tabletop hobby miniatures game set in the Marvel Universe" has frankly been relentless in both its past and future release schedules, so I'm going to try to halve my 'plastic mountain' by getting a couple of my current miniatures finished for every new hero/villain I purchase over the coming months.

"Warlord Games" WIP - The ACW soldiers have been based, primed and had their trousers 'picked out'

Fortunately, I've already got something of a head start with my Black Widow model from the game's Starter Set simply needing a couple of washes and some dry-brushing. I'm also making some quick in-roads on the predominantly dark-toned Punisher figure I recently acquired, so plan to get the pair of these street-level vigilantes finished over the next few days...

In addition, I plan to 'soldier on' with "Warlord Games" and their newly-announced 15mm range of "Epic Battles: American Civil War". These figures aren't officially released for a good few weeks yet, but like many intrigued hobbyists I succumbed to picking up a copy of the January 2021 issue of "Wargames Illustrated" in order to get my hands on a single sprue of the hard-plastic miniatures.

"North Star Military Figures" WIPs - Two Archers assembled from the Tribals "Frostgrave" boxed set

I'm actually only spending a little time a day on a couple of strips of the ACW models just to see how they will turn out, so resultantly have just pigmented/shaded the trousers and shoes of my Alabama-born Confederates. My first impressions are quite mixed, as whilst I like the attention to detail on the tiny troopers, I'm not sure I find painting a line of ten men at once a terribly enticing prospect. Indeed, I've little doubt that I'd probably find the sight of just a couple of Johnny Rebs far more doable; albeit I do understand that you need to paint 100 of the miniatures for a single unit...

Lastly, I aim to use the "Paint What You Got Challenge" to get my Witch's warband for "Frostgrave" onto the chilly streets of Felstad and hunting for long-lost, magical plunder. I have two Tribal archers by "North Star Military Figures" 'on the go' currently, and intend to get at least a single member of my eight-man strong party finished per week throughout the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment