Monday 15 July 2024

"Even In Defeat The Menace Of Ultron Always Looms..."

"...As even a trace of his code can potentially lead to a full restoration of his consciousness."

This 40mm scale model of Ultron is made by "CoolMiniOrNot” and is one of three super-villains found inside the Marvel United Core Box. Designed with an "all-new visual take" by Edouard Guiton, the figure is produced in a red hard plastic, and was initially undercoated using a mixture of "Vallejo" Surface Primer Black and "Warlord Games" Pitch Black.

The robot super-villain was then layered in "Vallejo" Gunmetal and Silver, before being washed in "Citadel" Nuln Oil and dry-brushed with (more) "Vallejo" Silver. I next carefully 'picked out' all the areas which I wanted to be vibrant red, such as the mechanical fiend's eyes, with some White Star by "Two Thin Coats", and later covered these in thinned down "Citadel" Flesh Tearers Red.

"CoolMiniOrNot" WIPs - Ultron's internal workings were 'picked out' with "Two Thin Coats" White Star

I also considered adding some 'glow effects' on these parts by carefully trying to catch the surrounding edges with a light dry-brush of "Vallejo" Heavy Red. However, I really didn't like the effect, so in the end, I simply re-worked these edges with some patiently-placed lines of (more) "Vallejo" Silver. I did though want the metal piping on Ultron's base to tie-in with the actual figure's colour scheme, so gave them a splash of "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson before varnishing them.

In addition to my fifth model for Marvel United, I have also completed another 28mm plastic Space Marine by "Games Workshop" from the now OOP (Out Of Production) Betrayal At Calth stand-alone boxed game. The multi-part model was assembled wearing MK IV armour, and is another one of the ten figures I need to field my third Sons of Horus Tactical Squad for "Warhammer: The Horus Heresy."

"The Horus Heresy truly began after Warmaster Horus was wounded by the possessed Eugen Temba." 

The miniature was originally primed using "Citadel" Sons Of Horus Green, before I used a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, Gold, and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade to the rim of his left shoulder-pad and anywhere else which I intended to be gold. I next picked out the sharpest edges and numerous rivets in (more) "Vallejo" Gold, before applying some "Citadel" Abaddon Black to the traitor's knee-joints and elbow-joints, as well as the top of his backpack and the majority of his Bolter.

The model’s power tubes and firearm were subsequently given a splodge or two of "Vallejo" Gunmetal and "Citadel" Nuln Oil, whilst some "Scalecolor" Speed Metal and "Citadel" Flesh Tearers Red was carefully slipped into the Space Marine's eye slits. Once all this brush-work was finished, I gave the MK IV armour a good dousing in "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and dry-brushed it back up with (more) Sons Of Horus Green. Lastly, I attached one of the numerous decals found on the "Games Workshop" Sons of Horus Legion transfer sheet onto the right shoulder-pad.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks very much indeed, Michal. I'm much happier with how this Ultron turned out than my Marvel Crisis Protocol one for sure.

      Delete
  2. Great work on both Ultron and the Son Simon, how many left to finish your third squad ? Do you have many more Marvel United models to do ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. I have a handful more Sons of Horus to finish, including a couple of standard bearers, sgt, leader and a sorcerer who will allow me to field demons too. As for Marvel United, I still have a couple of hundred figures - as I own all the expansions - with more to come as I backed the Multiverse KS too, and am currently backing their DC Comics United on Gamefound. LOL!!! It's probably why I've stopped painting both Marvel Crisis Protocol and Heroclix figs so much these days.

      Delete
  3. Ultron looks awesome. The red really pops in that metallic body! What a great mini!
    Another great Sons of Horus. That green is fabulous as usual and nice to see a set of Mk. 4 armour too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. Yes. I was probably more pleased with how Ultron turned out this time round than I was for his Marvel Crisis Protocol figure. I do try to squeeze in as many Sons of Horus figures as I can when the mood takes me - so expect some more to turn up.

      Delete