Saturday 27 July 2024

"I'm Very Sorry About This..."

"...But that was the backup system."

This 30mm scale metal Enslaved Computer is manufactured by "Beast In A Broch" and can be brought either individually as SKU: FFF15 or as part of the seven-figure Scorpius Crew set SKU: PAK05. Sculpted by Ernst Veingart, the two-piece miniature is clearly inspired by the flight computer of the Scorpio from the fourth and final season of the cult BBC science fiction television programme "Blake's Seven"

Before painting, I actually had a few decisions to make with this kit as to its overall look, and how I was going to base it. For starters, Slave is actually completely housed inside a set aboard a Mark II Wanderer class planet hopper, so I wasn't at all happy with the sculpt abruptly ending at the top of the mainframe's cylinder. Instead, I wanted the Central Processing Unit (CPU) to appear entirely self-contained, so took the rather expensive route of purchasing a second copy of the model, and using the large, square-shaped base for a roof (of sorts).

"Don't be sorry. Be Quiet."

In addition, I really wanted to use the 'figure' with the likes of my Idealistic Leader, Cynical Second, Space Smuggler and Cowardly Thief on the tabletop, as opposed to just having it stuck on a spaceship somewhere - maybe as a terrain feature or objective marker. So resultantly decided to have the miniature represent the computer being in direct communications contact with a crewmember (and presumably providing them with some short-lived House Rule bonus as a result). This meant I simply plonked the ensemble onto a "Citadel" 50mm circular base and gritted/flocked the stand as normal.

"A unique system installed by Dorian, possibly making use of work by Ensor", the model was primed using a mixture of "Vallejo" Surface Primer Black and "Warlord Games" Pitch Black, before being layered with "Vallejo" Gunmetal. It was then positively drowned in "Citadel" Nuln Oil and dry-brushed with (more) "Vallejo" Gunmetal.

"CoolMiniOrNot" WIPs - Blade is being painted inside out and from the ground up

With the basics completed, I then just patiently worked my way around all the different buttons, displays and circuit boards with splodges of "Vallejo" Heavy Red, Heavy Green, Neutral Grey, "Citadel" Abaddon Black, and White Star by "Two Thin Coats". Many of these areas were later treated to a shade of "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson, Biel-Tan Green and Nuln Oil as appropriate.

Having completed the latest addition to my "Blake's Seven" project, I have begun working in earnest on the Blade figure from the old Marvel United Kickstarter by "CoolMiniOrNot". Considering the meticulous detail found on some of this board-game's other sculpts, this particular stretch goal appears reasonably straight forward to pigment, so will hopefully be finished in short(ish) order...

8 comments:

  1. Great work on Slave-1 Simon, an interesting piece for them to make, and as you say normally would be fixed into the ships bridge, so an interesting idea having it as a moveable piece to represent it's help when on field missions. Great start on Blade as well, look forward to seeing this one develop, as the face is hard to make out in the black undercoat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I don't know why Slave was made tbh, as its definitely more scenic than tabletop useful. Hence why I thought I'd spend the extra time turning it into something more akin to Orac. I'd actually like a Zen too. Those considering his interface's size, that'd be a large resin piece, imho, and probably wouldn't work even as a bonus-bearing token/figure.

      Blade shouldn't be too long before he's finished, as I rather fancy playing him in an upcoming game of Marvel United.

      Delete
  2. So good to see these Simon and great job on Slave. I have a lot of these miniatures somewhere and must dig out my DVD boxed set to enjoy again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Michael. I must confess that I repeatedly watch B7 First Season all the time, as I absolutely love the crew all coming together.

      Delete
  3. Nice work Simon. I used to love Blake's 7. What a great show it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray. Its my fave sci-fi show by far these days - though I do watch a fair bit of Space 1999's first season too.

      Delete