Friday 6 September 2024

"There Are So Many Of Them."

"So many. We'll never get through unseen."

This rather tiny 28mm scale metal model of Frodo Baggins was produced by "Games Workshop", and could be bought as part of the two figure Frodo & Sam In Orc Armour blister from the Nottingham-based company's "The Lord Of The Rings" range. Now OOP (Out Of Production), I actually picked this miniature up from a wargaming show's second-hand stall many years ago, and only very recently found it again in a long-forgotten plastic container.

Despite the gaming piece already having some sort of black undercoat on it, courtesy of its former owner, I decided to dust it down and give it an additional lick of "Citadel" Abaddon Black. The 'Ring-bearer' was then layered with Thrash Metal by "Scale 75", shaded in "Citadel" Nuln Oil and dry-brushed with (more) "Scale 75" Thrash Metal. With the basics done, I next started trying to 'pick out' all the small details visible on Frodo's bizarre-looking armour.

"Wargames Foundry" WIPs - These two Prussians just have a few more details left to be worked on

This resulted in me using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal and "Citadel" Nuln Oil for the hobbit's sword scabbard and gloves. Whilst I applied some thin lines of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade along his leather belt. In addition, I gave the brave adventurer's fur leggings a little "Vallejo" Heavy Brown and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade, before going back and lightly catching the edges with a smidgeon more "Vallejo Heavy Brown.

One thing which did confuse me about this model was just what parts were actually metal and which were boiled leather, as despite repeated viewings of various movie stills, action figures, and beautifully-detailed statues, I couldn't properly decide. In the end I therefore chose to simply darken Mister Underhill's beak-like helmet with an extra dash of "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and 'rust-up' both his plate-mail gown, as well as some long-strips of armour/leather which covered his neck, with a splash of Agrax Earthshade.

"Wargames Foundry" WIPs - Early days yet on this pair of French Fusiliers

Despite this brief trip to J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth, I have not been tardy in progressing a few more Napoleonic soldiers by "Wargames Foundry". Due to being rather keen on fielding at least a tiny contingent of Prussians I've been patiently pigmenting all the tiny details on a pair of identical figures from their PN063 Infantry in Peaked Cap Marching blister. These sculpts really are rather time-consuming. But once completed will give me a fine-looking quartet of Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher's fellow countrymen.

As I'm working on both sides of the battleline, I've also got going on a couple of Frenchmen from FN137 - Late Fusiliers Or Voltigeurs In Greatcoats And Assorted Headgear Marching. As with the Prussians, I ultimately intend to get four of these figures tabletop ready before moving on to another element of Bonaparte's Foot, and may well use the one with a bandaged head as a Veteran Hunter for "The Silver Bayonet" by "Osprey Games".

10 comments:

  1. Frodo looks like he's just stepped off the movie set, or Middle Earth, depending on your point of view ! LOL
    Nice progress on your Napoleonic's Simon, you are certainly keeping up with this months challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I'm tempted to go back and paint those long leather/armour plates at the back of Frodo's helmet a different colour - maybe Heavy Charcoal or Heavy Sienna, as they just blend into the rest of the helmet - despite an Agrax Earthshade wash...

      Hopefully the Prussians will be finished soon, and then I can focus on some more Frenchmen. I'm really hoping this month will give me enough Napoleonics for some enjoyable games of The Silver Bayonet.

      Delete
  2. Looking great Simon, I especially like the Frodo figure, he does indeed look the part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray. It's nice to break up all the collars and cuffs of the Napoleonic period with something a bit simpler - something I know you appreciate with your historical painting.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. I'm not aware of any specific rules in MESBG for Frodo in Orc Armour, so I guess I'll be able to use him as either Frodo or an Orc (albeit a tiny one).

      Delete
  4. I think you've done a sterling job on Frodo despite the armour material issues, looks good to me.

    Nice progress on your Napoleonic project too mate.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. I've added some "Citadel" Gryph-Charger Grey to the strips of metal/leather at the back of Frodo's helmet, and that has worked a treat, imho.

      Lots more Napoleonics to come, as I'm trying to do little batches of 2-4 figures to bulk up the two forces this month.

      Delete
  5. The orc disguised Frodo looks brilliant. A great little sculpt that you have brought to life wonderfully. The Prussians are looking awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. I think Frodo will have dual purpose for MESBG, as I can use him as Baggins or simply a small Orc. LOL!! Both the Prussians (and the two French Fusiliers) are now finished and should be posted soon.

      Delete