Monday 30 September 2024

"Laika Was A Soviet Space Dog..."

"...Who was one of the first animals in space and the first to orbit the Earth."

This 32m scale resin miniature was sent to me by “Black Site Studios" as a free gift for pre-ordering their Lunar - Core Game way back in July 2021, and is nowadays seemingly only available as part of their SKU: STL0212 Space Pets - digital STL (Standard Triangle Language) file download. I therefore plonked the cute little dog onto a plastic 25mm circular base and thought I'd paint her up in honour of the poor mongrel which the Russians launched aboard Sputnik 2 spacecraft in 1957.

As I quickly decided against using the same "Two Thin Coats" Sanguine Scarlet I'm using for my Soviet Cosmonaut spacesuits - as I may well use the sculpt as a neutral objective marker or random encounter, I primed the model with a couple of licks of "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey, and shaded her with "Citadel" Nuln Oil. I then dry-brushed the figure with (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey, before applying a combination of Gold and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade to the animal's visor.

"There are four main species of bears in Canada."
I also dabbed the dog's front paws with a little "Vallejo" Gunmetal and "Citadel" Nuln Oil to represent the weighted shoes she seems to be wearing. However, this has become rather lost in the 2mm tall Chilli Red flock I'm going to be using for all my Moon/Mars basing. Obviously, there's no such 'grass' on our own planet's natural satellite. But I didn't like the look of my miniatures stood/sat on a stand without something growing out of the ground around them.

In addition to 'Laika' I've manged to finish the third and final 28mm scale metal miniature from GPR019 - Great Big Bellicose Bears by “Wargames Foundry". As with the other specimens of carnivoran mammals I intend to use for "The Silver Bayonet", the model was super-glued onto a plastic 40mm "Games Workshop" circular base and undercoated using a mixture of "Vallejo" Surface Primer Leather Brown and Heavy Sienna.

"Wargames Foundry" WIPs - Two Prussian Infantrymen and Two French Fusiliers

It was then treated to a double layer of (pure) "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, before being enthusiastically drenched in "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade, and treated to a lighter touch of some "Vallejo" Heavy Brown. Finally, I applied some "Two Thin Coats" White Star to it's visible fangs and claws, and later shaded these areas down with plenty of "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade.

With a couple of reasonably straightforward paint-jobs under my belt, I have simultaneously got some good progress completed on four more of the Newark-based company's Napoleonic range - namely a pair of Prussian Infantrymen and two French Fusiliers. I was hoping to get  Frederick William III's soldiers finished by the end of the month, as they are the last of my figures from blister PN063 Infantry in Peaked Cap Marching. However, the miniatures still need a few washes and a tiny bit of dry-brushing before being ready for a "Vallejo" Matt Varnish...

1 comment:

  1. Great work on both of your fauna models Simon, both contrasting to each other, but great none the less. Nice progress on your Napoleonic's as well, you are getting through them quickly.

    ReplyDelete