Friday 20 September 2024

"These Large And Aggressive Bears..."

 "...Are especially territorial when with their young."

This 28mm scale metal miniature is sold by “Wargames Foundry", and is one of three surprisingly heavy sculpts which can be found inside their GPR019 - Great Big Bellicose Bears blister. Whilst I'm currently focusing upon the Nottinghamshire-based company's Napoleonic range, I thought this particular packet would be perfect to represent a Grizzly Bear or two in "The Silver Bayonet" by "Osprey Games" - using the rules found in the game's "Canada" expansion book.

The furry beast was thus super-glued to a "Games Workshop" plastic 40mm circular base and undercoated using a mixture of "Vallejo" Surface Primer Leather Brown and Heavy Sienna. It was then treated to a couple of layers of (pure) "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, before being significantly shaded in "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. Somewhat annoyingly, this process did result in some of the paint on the very edges of the bear's detail completely dissolving, so I had to dry-brush these areas again with (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna.

"Prussia's contribution to the French invasion of Russia was 20,842 men."
Finally, the entire model was treated to a lighter touch of some "Vallejo" Heavy Brown. With the bulk of the animal now complete I next applied some dollops of "Two Thin Coats" White Star to it's teeth and any claws which were showing through the base grit I'd previously applied. Along with the miniature's "Vallejo" Heavy Red tongue, these bits were later washed with some "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade.

Continuing my obsession with "Wargames Foundry", I have also managed to pigment a fifth Prussian soldier from the set PN063 Infantry in Peaked Cap Marching. Crafted by Alan Perry, the figure was primed using a couple of layers of "Vallejo" Sombre Grey, and had its dark-coloured jacket 'picked out' using a combination of Stormy Blue and "Citadel" Nuln Oil.

"Wargames Foundry" WIPs - This Prussian Officer is being progressed from the ground up

As with the rest of my contingent representing Frederick William III's army, I then used a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Red and "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson for model's cuffs, collars, cap bands, and gun straps. Whilst I applied "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade on his rifle and backpack, Vallejo" Gunmetal and "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and a lick of "Abaddon Black on then infantryman's boots, extra baggage, leather straps and epaulettes.

Due to my current desire to complete this particular element of my Coalition army before I move on to some of my other Napoleonic units, I've also begun work on an Officer from PN031 Infantry Command. In the short term I fancy using this particular figure either as the leader of a Prussian Silver Bayonet warband, or perhaps just a Junior Officer for my multinational party. However, looking ahead, the fellow will hopefully lead the foot elements of a much larger German contingent for Black Powder by "Warlord Games"...

1 comment:

  1. Great work on the bear and Prussian Simon, and you seem to be making quick headway on the officer as well, definitely your most productive foray into Napoleonic's so far.

    ReplyDelete