Friday 13 September 2024

"The French Levée En Masse Method Of Conscription..."

"...Brought around 2,300,000 French men into the Army between the period of 1804 and 1813."

This 28mm scale metal model is sold by “Wargames Foundry", and can be purchased as part of their eight-figure FN137 - Late Fusiliers Or Voltigeurs In Greatcoats And Assorted Headgear Marching blister. I believe I was lucky enough to pick mine up directly from the Newark-based company when I visited their premises in Newark late last year, and have since had my eye on this particular Perry Twin sculpt to use as a Veteran Hunter for "The Silver Bayonet" by "Osprey Games".

Undercoated using a mixture of "Citadel" Abaddon Black and Vallejo Surface Primer Black, the soldier's trousers, leather straps and head bandage were 'picked out' with "Two Thin Coats" White Star, and subsequently shaded with some heavily watered-down "Citadel " Agrax Earthshade. I then pigmented the Frenchman's greatcoat with plenty of "Vallejo" Sombre Grey, as well as his flask in Heavy Brown and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade.

"Wargames Foundry" WIPs - These two bears have been primed, layered, shaded and dry-brushed

The butt and wooden elements of the Fusilier's musket were treated to some "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. Whilst the metal parts received a lick of "Vallejo" Gunmetal and "Citadel" Nuln Oil. I also gave the model's bayonet a quick dry-brush of (more) "Vallejo Gunmetal to help it stand out a little bit more. Lastly, I bloodied up the miniature's headwound with a little "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson and Flesh Tearers Red, before dousing the man's coat in Nuln Oil and patiently dry-brushing the garment with (more) "Vallejo" Sombre Grey.

With the latest addition to my Undead-fighting French warband completed, I have turned my attention towards the two remaining figures found inside the Nottinghamshire-based company's GPR019 - Great Big Bellicose Bears set. These furry animals have proved rather therapeutic from all the collars and cuffs I've recently faced whilst painting Napoleonic soldiers, and resultantly are already quite close to being tabletop ready.

"Wargames Foundry" WIPs - Two British Grenadiers, a French Fusilier and a Russian Officer

I haven't totally ignored my ongoing Nineteenth-Century Black Powder push though, and been busy applying some "Vallejo" Heavy Red basecoats to the jackets of some British infantrymen. To be honest these still look a bit mucky to my eyes, due to simply slapping some colours on them to help me decide just how much detail I'm planning to pick out on them. Once I start tidying up their white straps and trousers I actually think the pair might be quite quick to complete - especially as they'll represent the 76th Regiment of Foot, which wore red collars and cuffs.

In addition to my British, I'm also beavering away on a Russian Officer and another French figure taken from FN137 - Late Fusiliers Or Voltigeurs In Greatcoats And Assorted Headgear Marching. The Command model should only need another hobby session before he'll be ready for a lick of matt varnish. Whereas I'm trying something a little different on the Fusilier by painting his greatcoat before his straps - simply so I can see whether its quicker than doing all the white leatherwork first and then carefully applying "Vallejo" Sombre Grey to the coat in a few 'hard-to-reach' areas afterwards...

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful work!
    I'm working on Perry's retreat from Moscow officers now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. Probably my favourite period of the Napoleonic Wars tbh - although Austerlitz is my fave battle. This is a wonderful eight-figure set by the Perry's too, so I'm enjoying getting them tabletop ready.

      Delete
  2. Great job on the French man Simon, the sculpt really does invoke veteran, great progress on the bears and other soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. Lots of Wargames Foundry figures currently on the go. But hopefully most, if not all the models I'm presently working on, should be completed within the next week or so.

      Delete
  3. Bellicose bears - love it! More progress is good and you're definitely pumping out the naps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. The Russian officer is now finished, and hopefully I'll get the two Bears completed soon too. Lots of Napoleonic postings to come as I'm definitely in the groove for them currently.

      Delete
  4. Good call on your Fusilier being a veteran hunter as he looks suitably grizzled. I like the blue grey on that coat enormously, great job.
    Nice bears! They will be good for the Silver Bayonet, Canada, supplement.
    Your enthusiasm for Napoleonics seems undiminished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Undercoat. The entire regiment of those particular French Fusiliers will be that blue grey, so they should look rather nice on the tabletop. One of the Bears is now finished, and my enthusiasm for Napoleonics has not diminished at all. LOL!!!

      Delete