Wednesday 23 October 2024

"After Tracking A Launch From Deep Inside The U.S.S.R...."

 "...The United States and her allies downplayed the possibility that it was a lunar landing attempt."

This 32mm resin Russian Astronaut is produced by "Black Site Studios", and forms part of the Lunar Core Game pre-order I made with the American-based company way back in July 2021. These days the figure is available as either part of the five-figure set SKU: LNR6805BSS - Soviet Cosmonauts, or the manufacturer's current Two-Player Starter Box, and was painstakingly put together from an almost overwhelming number of tiny pieces which came inside the starter box.

Super-glued to a "Citadel" 30mm circular stand, as opposed to one of the bases which came with the kit, I gave the spaceman what I believe to be a "mass shotgun", and undercoated the ensemble with lots of "Two Thin Coats" Sanguine Scarlet. The 'official' colour scheme repeatedly used within the skirmish game's rulebook strongly suggests that the Eastern Bloc's suits are actually predominantly pinkish-brown with red trim and blue gloves/boots.

"Wargames Foundry" WIPs - Two more Dutch Grenadiers are currently on the painting table

However, as I wanted a simple palette for my 'comrades' which wouldn't be too time-consuming to get on the tabletop, as well as being readily recognisable as Russian, I just splattered the astronaut with "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson and dry-brushed him with (more) "Two Thin Coats" Sanguine Scarlet. I then 'picked out' the Soviet cosmonaut's helmet visor with some "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, and later returned to this area using a combination of Gold and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade.

Lastly, the figure's firearm was given a lick of "Citadel" Abaddon Black, "Vallejo" Gunmetal and "Citadel" Nuln Oil. The illustration on the hand-weapon's item card suggested that part of it was also red. But having already used this colour on the astronaut (as well as using a red flock for my Martian/Moon basing) I thought this was probably overkill - so just left the entire shotgun metallic.

"Wargames Foundry" WIPs - Blucher's horse has been layered in "Two Thin Coats" Carchardon Grey"

With so straightforward a second addition to my Lunar collection completed, I've found myself with more time to progress the remaining two Napoleonic figures I want to get finished before this month ends. Both identical sculpts come from the "Wargames Foundry" packet FN175 - Imperial Guard Dutch Grenadiers In Greatcoat Marching, and should prove useful for both some Black Powder (lite) and Silver Bayonet.

Furthermore, now my latest (and probably last for quite some time) order from the Newwark-based company has arrived, I thought I'd also tackle a cavalry model - selecting Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher himself from the Prussian blister PN055A Field Marshall Blucher with Generals Gneisenau, Yorck and Kleist. I plan to place all my horsemen upon "Citadel" 40mm circular bases - as per The Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game by "Games Workshop". This should mean that I can use the general both as an army commander, as well as simply fit him into a cavalry unit if the mood takes me...

No comments:

Post a Comment