Monday 14 October 2024

"So Passes Denethor..."

 "...Son of Ecthelion."

This 28mm scale metal model of Denethor was produced by "Games Workshop", and could be purchased in a single figure blister from the company's "The Lord Of The Rings" range. Nowadays, the OOP (Out Of Production) sculpt has seemingly been replaced by a finely detailed resin "expert kit", so I'm grateful I actually picked my old miniature up from a wargaming show's second-hand stall many years ago.

The Steward of Gondor was undercoated using a mixture of "Vallejo" Surface Primer Black and "Warlord Games" Pitch Black, before having his cloak roughly shadowed using plenty of "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal and "Citadel" Nuln Oil. I then base-layered his chain mail in "Vallejo" Gunmetal, splashed the meshed armour with "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and dry-brushed it with (more) "Vallejo" Gunmetal to help bring out all the small metal rings linked together.

"The backwardness of Prussia was revealed by the disaster of 1806."

"A man of great will, foresight, and strength, but also overconfident", the ruler's leather belt was treated to a thin line of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, whilst I 'picked out' his belt buckle and sword hilt with "Vallejo" Gold. Both of these areas were later doused in "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade to help darken them down. I also carefully traced my brush tip across all of Denethor's fur lining with plenty of "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey, before dousing it with "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and finally highlighting it with a careful dry-brush of (more) Vallejo Heavy Bluegrey.

As I hoped to make the hair of "the first son and third child of Ecthelion II" stand out a little from all this grey, I covered it in "Two Thin Coats" White Star and an application of the "Citadel" Contrast paint Black Templar. I next dry-brushed it in (more) White Star by "Two Thin Coats", darkened it down with "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and lastly gave a a second highlight with some (extra) patiently placed "Two Thin Coats" White Star.

"North Star Military Figures" WIPs - This Shoggoth has been primed, base-layered and shaded

Despite Denethor actually taking quite a bit longer to get tabletop ready than I had initially thought - as I had hoped he was just a predominantly black-palette project - I have completed a seventh Napoleonic Prussian soldier from the set PN063 Infantry in Peaked Cap Marching by "Wargames Foundry". As with all his identical comrades-in-arms, the figure was largely pigmented using "Vallejo" Sombre Grey, Stormy Blue, Heavy Red, Heavy Sienna, Gunmetal and a selection of "Citadel" Shades.

Furthermore, whilst digging around an especially long-forgotten box of miniatures, I stumbled across a part-resin part-metal Shoggoth by "North Star Military Figures", which I thought might be good for "The Silver Bayonet" rule-set. I actually believe I bought this little set way back in 2018, when I physically visited their premises in Lenton Boulevard, Nottingham. So it's probably high time I got some paint on the brute regardless...

6 comments:

  1. Great work on Denethor, and the Prussian Simon, and great start on the Shoggoth, with such a lot going on in this model, really needs a lot of colours to help define it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Just one more of the Prussians to finish and that'll be that particular blister done. The official paint-job on the Shoggoth is pretty much black tbh, with yellow eyes and white teeth. I thought the green would give a bit of definition to all its blobs etc, but I wasn't planning anything else colour-wise - its essentially a black mass of tentacles.

      Delete
  2. Denethor looks good. Nice to see some Lord of the Rings stuff painted up. Might have to get some of mine in the painting queue...
    One more Prussian marching off to war, one more Prussian marching off to war, and if one more Prussian should accidentally....sorry not sure how that won't got into my head!! Lol.
    Nice brightly beast. Interested to see him done so I can see it in all its glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Undercoat. Thought Denethor would make a bit of a change from Napoleonics and Silver Bayonet. Just one more Prussian to post (as he's finished too), and then I'm moving on to more French. LOL!!

      Delete