Tuesday 29 December 2015

"What's The Matter? Can't Talk With A Gun In Your Mouth?"

"Now you think about that when I beat the rap."
These two 28mm miniatures come from “Pulp Figures” Gangland Justice range and comprise of Frank ‘The Mailman’ Cory from Code PGJ 02 Bugs Malarchy’s Mob and one of the of Hired Killers from code PGJ 04 These Guns For Hire.

As I wanted to try and match Bob Murch’s colour scheme for the two gangsters I gave Frank an undercoat of “Vallejo” Heavy Bluegrey and his pistol-carrying colleague an initial layer of Heavy Sienna. I then picked out Cory’s trousers with a combination of Heavy Blue and “Citadel” Nuln Oil. Before using “Vallejo” Charred Brown” and some “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade on his violin case. Having picked out the hitman’s buttons with “Citadel” Ironbreaker I finished the model off with a wash of Nuln Oil across his entire overcoat.

Having finished ‘The Mailman’ I used some “Vallejo” Heavy Brown with more Strong Tone Quickshade on his companion’s trousers and a combination of Heavy Bluegrey with “Citadel” Nuln Oil for his hat. Finally the gunman’s brown long jacket was thoroughly washed with (even more) “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade.
Hulk WIP - The big green giant just needs his teeth, hair and trousers painted to be finished
 I actually started painting these models at the start of the year, but like my Hairy Hominids I somewhat surprisingly lost interest in finishing them a short time later. As they’re not eligible for this year’s Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge I’ve used them as practice pieces for the remaining eight gangster figures I plan to submit as part of this year’s Pulp genre Side Challenge.

In addition to painting some of my “Pulp Figures” I have also managed to make some good progress on one of my “Heroclix” Hulk models, and have not only finished his white shirt. But built up most of green skin as well. All the gamma-giant now needs is for me to finish ‘picking out’ his teeth and dark green hair and he’ll be complete… and I can then get started on a second identical sculpt which will feature his original grey-skinned colour scheme.
"Frostgrave" WIPs - My Bestiary is finally starting to take form.
Lastly I have been pottering away on both some of the models I received courtesy of my much-appreciated Secret Santa gift and another of my “Frostgrave” miniatures. All three of these figures should be reasonably straightforward to complete, given enough time and attention. Although I have decided to go with the “North Star Military Figures” paint scheme on my Imp and paint him partially grey; something which suggests to my mind at least that the tiny demon is partially transforming from stone into living red flesh. 

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Fran. I'm not particularly happy with Frank's large eyes. Though they look a lot bigger in the photos than they they seem in reality.

      Delete
  2. Nice gangsters, but great work on the Hulk that is a vast improvement on the original. Liking the Frostgrave stuff too, what can I say but.... "Chap with the wings, six rounds rapid!"

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. I've almost finished the blended highlights on the big fella's green flesh and then I'm into the home straight on him. I thought the same about the imp, which is why I moved away from painting him simply all-red and went with the "North Star Military Figures" colour scheme.

      Delete
  3. Lovely work on all of them Bk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. Just the beginning as I have loads of minis close to completion...

      Delete
  4. Those are some of the richest reds I've seen - I think I might have to give the colored primers a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill,I'd thoroughly recommend "Vallejo" Heavy Red and the "Citadel" wash Carroburg Crimson as a combination. I've just finished painting a "Heroclix" Daredevil using it, and the miniature essentially painted himself as a result.

      Delete
  5. Pulp! I knew I needed to be getting on with something! Great job Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. Just a couple of test pieces though. I've yet to submit anything to the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge as I've been clearing some space first.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. Nice to get a couple of old minis off the painting table after nearly a year [blush].

      Delete
  7. Lovely work on both your gangsters and the first of your hulks, Simon! You mentioned you had three Hulks -so what colour's the 3rd one going to be? Red? Blue? Oooh, how about pastel pink with rainbow hair? That would be both very wrong and quite awesome at the same time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. The third Hulk is (sadly) going to remain on its "Heroclix" base and be used to play the game - should I ever return to it :-)

      Delete
  8. Much as I love your Bob Murch gangsters, for me, the stand out figure is your Hulk. Now you've done his skin, he really pops. I too, was wondering how you plan on painting your other two Hulks. Grey and Red seem to be the obvious choices but you could end up surprising us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. The green Hulk is now finished :-) The grey Hulk is already partially done, with its base colours: grey, blue and yellow. Just starting to cut in his trousers. I do have a Red Hulk figure; a rather expensive import from across the Pond which will hopefully be making an appearance, alongside five Robo-Hulks ;-)

      Delete
  9. I think I may have to do some gangsters, following in your footsteps. The frostgrave beastry is looking good as well. I am also working on 2 frostgrave figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint. I think your painting style would certainly suit some long-coated gangsters. I look forward to seeing your "Frostgrave" minis too.

      Delete