Thursday 22 February 2018

"Hulking Warriors Of Nurgle..."

"...the Putrid Blightkings carve their way through the enemy with slime-encrusted axes..."
This 28mm scale Putrid Blightking is one of the five multi-part models which can be assembled from the sprues found within the “Games Workshop” Putrid Blightkings boxed set. Built and painted to represent a simple "favoured mortal servant of Nurgle" I therefore equipped the Rotbringer with a large well-used scimitar, a Nurgle sign-shaped shield and a few tiny tentacles. I already own a finished Blightlord, so need just four more of the bloated infantrymen to field a unit as part of my "Age Of Sigmar" Nurgle Host. 

Having assembled the figure using the 105-piece plastic kit's instruction booklet, the warrior was initially primed “Vallejo” Heavy Khaki and washed with “Citadel” Thrakka Green. The big-bellied brute was then dry-brushed with more “Vallejo” Heavy Khaki and had details such as his face mask, stomach plates and armour base-coated with “Citadel” Abaddon Black. These areas were subsequently painted using "Vallejo" Gunmetal Grey, and washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil. Because I wanted the battered helmet's grill to especially stand out, I also highlighted it with some Ironbreaker.
"N-FX Game Design Studio" Flip Card Box WIPs - The MDF has been primed black and layered silver 
The lumbering murder's skirt and plume was painted using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Red and "Citadel" Nuln Oil. However the areas were later dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" Heavy Red in order to bring a little colour back to them. The rotting fighter's pouch was simply 'picked out' using "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. Whilst the severed head dangling from his stomach was treated to a layer of "Vallejo" Iraqi Sand, a wash of "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade and a dry-brush of more "Vallejo Iraqi Sand. 

So as to try and encapsulate the warrior's Virulent Discharge ability, which can cause any non-Nurgle units within 3 inches to suffer D3 mortal wounds on the roll of a 6, I dabbed a combination of “Citadel” Biel-Tan Green, Agrax Earthshade and Carroburg Crimson over the Blightking's decaying flesh. As a last touch all of the figure's numerous zits were ‘pimped out’ with “Vallejo” Heavy Ochre and treated to a coat of “Citadel” Reikland Fleshshade.
"Black Tree Design" "Doctor Who" WIPs - A Sontaran, an Axon and a Kroton
As I want all my Putrid Blightkings to really stand out on the battlefield, I used both "Vallejo" Brass and then the "Citadel" Technical paint Nihilakh Oxide on the "blessed" model's "filth-encrusted" hand-weapon, shield and right shoulder-armour. These areas were subsequently dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" Brass to help blend in the patina.

With so much detailed-painting taking up the majority of my hobby-time, I've been working on another, far more straightforward, piece of MDF from "N-FX Game Design Studio". Their "Flip Card Box" is obviously designed to just hold cards off-table, but I thought the shape made for a potential Cyber-vault, so I've added a resin air-lock by "Second City Games" to one of its sides and primed the entire ensemble silver. Hopefully I'll be able to shade and dry-brush it over the next few days, and then get some "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" cards in it...
The crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise ready to face Klingons, Romulans, Andorians and a Horta
Finally, I have been having a bit of a major sort through my back-log of partially-painted miniatures, and stumbled upon a load more "Doctor Who" miniatures by "Black Tree Design" which were, rather disconcertingly, probably based and primed over a decade ago. Having dusted a few down, I'm hoping to make some in-roads on these over the next few days, and start clearing my increasingly cluttered painting queue.

22 comments:

  1. The Nurgle lads look very effective and cohesive.Being a Trekkie I'm looking forward to reading your adventures with the crew. Have you played the Klix rules before or are you using your own home made ones?
    I like the Sontaran figure very much the old scheme was very simple so it should be finished soon, is that the `magic wand' gun they had back in the '70's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Phil. I'll be leaving the "Star Trek" "Heroclix" minis well alone, and using the "Heroclix" rules. I used to play it a lot when it first came out, so am hoping to use these adventures to get back into the swing of the game. Yes, the Sontaran does indeed carry the 'magic wand' gun from the Seventies :-)

      Delete
  2. Great work on the Blightking Simon, very clever use of the flip card box, nice to see the old who models getting some attention

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. Just three more Blightkings to go, but a couple are far more heavily armoured, so shouldn't be so time-consuming. Glad you like the idea of the flip-card box, and I've got plenty of old models currently getting attention :-)

      Delete
  3. I do like the idea of converting your card holder box into a piece of scenery. Will you be adding a roof to it? Of the Doctor Who figures you've shown, my favourite is the Axon, whom you have painted very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. I'll still be using the card holder for the cards, so no lid. But rather than take up space elsewhere I always like to try and incorporate such things onto the actual tabletop - so no-one will be able to go inside but models can use it to prevent los etc. I've done such things before and they don't seem to break the illusion by having cards inside.

      Personally I think the "Black tree Design" Axon is a little squat-looking, but he has plenty of tendrils to dry-brush, so should soon be finished :-) Having painted so many "Warlord Games" "Doctor Who" minis lately I'm rather appreciative that there's far less detail on these older sculpts.

      Delete
  4. Some great stuff here Simon, the Axon being the best imho. I love making storage or accessories to look like terrain. At the moment I’m experimenting with scenic dice towers which I’ll show soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy. I'm surprised the Axon is getting such 'love' as I'm not that impressed by its sculpt myself, but perhaps I'll like it better once its finished.

      I look forward to seeing your dice towers enormously then, as I always think such items take up far less space on the table than beside it :-)

      Delete
  5. Those Nurgle's look great, not my thing but can still appreciate the top notch paintwork. Also clever re-use if the that box into a piece of scenery, should look the business once it's finished.

    Sorrry but I'm actually not that impressed with the Axon, not your painting which as always is spot on, but the fig is a little squat and ropey to me, not one of their best. I do love the Kroton though, for some reason they have always been one of my favourite Dr Who monsters.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Roger. I've a few more Blightkings to finish so I can get them on the tabletop, and "N-FX Game Design Studio" appear very happy with my suggestion to turn their MDF container into terrain :-)

      I totally agree with you about the Axon, but a dry-brush may help bring out some of its finer detail ;-)

      Btw, have you seen that "Marvel Comics" have started publishing a new series of "Marvel-Two-In-One" featuring our favourite Benjamin Grimm? I'll be reviewing them soon on the "Brown Bag" once I've cleared a bit of a backlog :-)

      Delete
    2. Oooo might have to look into that thanks.

      Delete
  6. I do like the Blightking, great model with a great paintjob. Your attention to detail has certainly paid off there. I look forward to the full unit being done. The Dr Who models seem to be more cute than the Warlord ones. The Star Trek models look good too. I wonder how many of them will be in season 2 of Discovery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Undercoat. Just three more Blightkings to do... and then I may just add another five ;-) I'm hoping the "Black tree Design" minis are quick wins to finish tbh - but I've found an enormous box of 'em so want to clear a few of them as fast as I can. I'm certainly hoping the "Star Trek" "Heroclix" takes off, so they'll be plenty more sets to come :-)

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to reading the the Landing Party game. "Away Team", indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy. Need to get my head back around "Heroclix" proper, so it'll be a small start to begin with, but with bigger plans ahead.

      Delete
  8. The blightking looks great as does the Cyber chamber. I love all these little scenic kits that are becomin available it turns some flat piece of mdf etc into a bit more of a 3D detailed piece of terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. Its amazing how different the Mdf card holder looks with just a single airlock attached to it :-)

      Delete
  9. Brilliant! And what a neat idea for the card holder - I need something like that for all my Pulp Alley cards. Looking forward to some Star Trek in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Ivor. Hopefully I have some more "N-FX Game Design Studio" 'scenery' on show soon. I'm very much in a "Star Trek" mood currently, so expect a few BatReps to be posted very soon :-)

      Delete
  10. The lovely Blight King makes me imagine Zombie Hulk were he to have been the version that was featured in the Planet Hulk comics! :)

    THe cards holder... with a roof, it'd make for a nice bunker in just about any sci-fi setting, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai, I hoped you'd appreciate a bit of Nurgle putridness :-) If you wanted to add a roof then the card holder would make an excellent bunker imho.

      Delete