Thursday 15 August 2024

"Once More The Skies Belong To The Midnight Surfer."

"Supersurf 7 is go! Go! Go!"

This 28mm scale metal model of Chopper was produced by “Mongoose Publishing” and formed part of my rewards from the company’s 2012 “Judge Dredd Miniatures Game: Block War” Kickstarter. Based upon the comic book character Marlon Shakespeare, the sculpt was clearly inspired by the classic “Judge Dredd” story “Midnight Surfer”, which featured in Issues 424-429 of the British comic book “2000 A.D.”

Determined to follow the colour scheme used by artist Cam Kennedy on his June 1985 wrap-a-round cover illustration for Prog 424, the figure was superglued to a plastic 40mm circular base by "Games Workshop" - as I simply detest flying stands these days - and undercoated using "Citadel" Abaddon Black. I then 'picked out' all the criminal's kneepads, belt, girdle and shoulders with a combination of "Vallejo" Gold and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. As I wasn't too sure as to whether John Wagner's co-creation had a black collar or not, I decided to leave it "Citadel" Abaddon Black.

"We're reclaiming what was ours."

Furthermore, I really wanted Chopper's black suit to be as pure black as possible, so instead of giving it a lick of "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal and splash of "Citadel" Nuln Oil as I ordinarily do, I'll simply rely upon any hand oils the model picks up from handling to create the illusion of highlights. I also thought Shakespeare's surfing board might look better 'matching' the ink used for the comic illustration rather than the metallic silver I was originally planning on using. Resultantly, it was base-layered in "Vallejo" Sombre Grey, washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and dry-brushed with (more) "Vallejo" Sombre Grey.

Having completed this comic book 'blast from the past', I have also finished another classic Sea Devil by "Black Tree Design". There's a few of these figures from the company's "Doctor Who" Range currently loitering upon my hobby desk, as I'm finding them quite straightforward to pigment whilst tackling some of the more detailed miniatures in my painting queue.

"Wargames Foundry" WIPs - A Russian Napoleonic infantryman and a Prussian soldier 

As with most of my 28mm Sea Devils, the model comes from the DW1015 Sea Devils boxed set, and was primed in "Vallejo" Verdigris, washed with "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade, and then roughly highlighted back up with (more) "Vallejo" Verdigris. Its webbed feet, arms and head were later given a lick of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade, before his belt received a little "Two Thin Coats" White Star and a smidgeon "Vallejo" Pale Grey.

Lastly, I'm patiently ploughing on with a handful more Napoleonic figures by "Wargames Foundry". Realistically I think I can finally get table-top ready the eight-man strong blister of Russian Infantrymen in Oilskin Covered 1812 Shako Marching I started this time last year. Plus make some headway on the pack of Prussian Infantrymen in Peaked Cap Marching I began working on earlier in the year. However, I do want to add a few other single models into the mix to use with "The Silver Bayonet" by "Osprey Games", such a Scottish Highlander, French Old Guard and French Grenadier...

8 comments:

  1. Great work on Chopper Simon, I would have thought the sculpt would have had his iconic hairstyle showing, but can imagine the helmet was easier to sculpt and cast, the sea devil looks great, and nice progress on the Russians

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. The sculpt is pretty spot on for Chopper's first appearance & Cam Kennedy's cover illustration I mention, so I'd have thought that was why..? More Sea Devils to come as I've got a load of them on my painting desk, and they make a welcome break from some of the Nap straps etc. The Russian soldier is almost finished and then the Prussian should be close behind too.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Michal. Really enjoying your Silver Bayonet French too.

      Delete
  3. Lovely work Simon and I know what you mean about flight stands, they just seem to jar with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I've got some spaceships to paint for an Osprey ruleset, and the plastic stands are really stopping me from cracking on with them. I admit such vessels do look a little odd when placed on gritted bases. But at least they'll get painted and used...

      Delete
  4. Simon, lovely work as always!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. Very much appreciated. Made a nice change as its such a smoothly detailed sculpt.

      Delete