Monday 19 August 2024

"The French Army Had Over 2,000 General Officers.

"Although over 90% of these generals were Frenchmen, many of them were not."

This 28mm scale metal model is produced by “Wargames Foundry", and can be purchased as part of their FN140 - Late Infantry Command In Greatcoat set. The figure is one of seven Napoleonic French soldiers sculpted by Michael and Alan Perry found in the blister, and in the short-term will lead a unit of his fellow countrymen during their adventures using "The Silver Bayonet" ruleset by "Osprey Games".

The officer was undercoated using a couple of licks of "Vallejo" Heavy Blue and had his trousers and sword belt 'picked out" using my trusty combination of "Two Thin Coats" White Star and some watered-down "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. The miniature's greatcoat was then drenched in "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade and carefully highlighted with a patient dry-brush of (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Blue.

"Wargames Foundry" WIPs - These two Russian soldiers are being painted feet-first

To give the model a bit more colour than his 'official' paint-job on the manufacturer's website, I decided to also pigment his epaulettes with "Vallejo" Gold, along with his sabre-guard. I also applied some "Vallejo" Gunmetal to the Frenchman's sabre blade. These areas were later shaded using a splash of either "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade or Nuln Oil as appropriate.

The model's shako was given a coat of "Vallejo" Heavy Brown, before being washed with "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. This was subsequently dry-brushed with (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Brown. Finally, I dolloped its pom pom in "Vallejo" Heavy Red and "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson, and lined the brim with "Citadel" Abaddon Black.

"Wargames Foundry" WIPs - A selection of 'slow-time' French Napoleonic soldiers

With two 'workable' factions for "The Silver Bayonet" now available to me using my "Wargames Foundry" figure collection, I've decided to slightly switch my tactics and focus upon finishing off the rest of my Napoleonic Russian miniatures from the company's RN023 Infantry in Oilskin Covered 1812 Shako Marching set. Once completed, this'll give me an eight-man strong unit of Tsar Alexander's soldiers, and might resultantly encourage me to pick out an officer or two from the recently acquired RN021 Infantry in 1812 Shako Command packet.

One of my main goals for this month was to partly play catch-up with my Napoleonic project, and currently I feel like I'm letting myself get a bit too distracted by other ranges/genres. I've therefore also spent a bit of time in the background busily basing a number of other Prussian, British and French models, which are very slowly being progressed whenever I find I have a little bit of paint still left on my palette from my Russians. Hopefully, over time this will allow several more of the time-consuming models to get part-way finished, and ultimately inspire me to dedicate a hobby session or two to get them tabletop ready as well...

10 comments:

  1. Love your French miniatures!
    I'm working on Retreat from Moscow French officer now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. I look forward to seeing your Officer. I have Marshal Ney by Warlord Games to paint at some point, which came free with their "A Clash Of Eagles" BP expansion rulebook. His size and sculpting style nicely matches that of the Wargames Foundry figures.

      Delete
  2. Great progress again Simon, I feel a sense of urgency with this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. The ultimate goal is to have enough 28mm Napoleonics painted for a game of Black Powder. But that's years away at the speed I paint, LOL. But this officer does now mean I can play the French in Silver Bayonet - which was one of my short-term goals.

      Delete
  3. Great work on the officer Simon, and you are making good progress on the others as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I've almost finished one of the Russians, so hopefully they'll both be completed this week. Then I can crack on with some more French Fusiliers.

      Delete
  4. that fellow looks nice.
    about to paint my french unit for Silver Bayonet and the painting guide you get in the Perry Miniatures plastic box sets kinda makes me feel intimidated because i wanna keep them historically accurate as best as i can but there are so many units/color schemes based off of certain years. any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mr. Martin. Peachy has done a very good (imho) YouTube video on painting his Silver Bayonet in which his guiding principle is not to care too much as its all fantasy anyway. However, as I plan to use these for historical Black Powder, I've simply tried to follow the paint schemes used on the Foundry website with a bit of cross-referencing. But to keep sane I don't pick out buttons, or any stripes which aren't sculpted onto the model. Collars and cuffs are pretty plain too tbh, as from 4-5 feet away in column or line no-one's going to notice. Hope this helps..?

      Delete
    2. thanks, I just happened to come across Peachy's painting videos. I've been watching his silver bayonet videos and I just discovered his painting ones yesterday LOL.

      Delete
    3. You're very welcome. I hope you enjoy Silver Bayonet as much as I am - it's definitely given me a Napoleonic push. :-)

      Delete