Wednesday 7 August 2024

"The Man Known As Blade..."

"...Was born into a world of blood and darkness over seven decades ago."

This 40mm scale model of Eric Brooks was produced by "CoolMiniOrNot", and unlocked during the company's highly successful February 2020 Kickstarter for "Marvel United" when it achieved a whopping $1,670,000 in funding. Based upon Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan's vampire hunter for "Marvel Comics", the hard plastic figure (and his twelve cards) can be found in the boardgame's Season One Promo Box.

Produced in a bright, light blue hard plastic, the Dhampir was undercoated with a mixture of "Vallejo" Surface Primer Black and "Warlord Games" Pitch Black, before having his armoured vest and combat pants painted in "Vallejo" Neutral Grey. This clothing was then shaded with "Citadel" Nuln Oil, dry-brushed with (more) "Vallejo" Neutral Grey, and finally darkened back down with an additional drop or two of "Citadel" Nuln Oil.

"...Was born into a world of blood and darkness over seven decades ago."

The Daywalker's numerous leg straps, belt, leather trench coat, boots, beard, shades and hair were all given a lick of "Citadel" Abaddon Black. However, it was only his jacket which subsequently received a dry-brush of "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal and a positive drowning in "Citadel" Nuln Oil. Blade's sword, hand-stake and mini-stakes were all pigmented with "Vallejo" Gunmetal and washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil. His blade's cutting edge was also given an enthusiastic dry-brush of (more) "Vallejo" Gunmetal to make it a bit brighter.

I used a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade for Brooks' flesh. The forehead, fingers, ears and nose were later highlighted with (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna. I also considered potentially adding some metallic sheen to Eric's sunglasses as per the official paint-job. But in the end decided to just add some "Vallejo" Gloss Varnish to them (and the blade of his sword).

"Crooked Dice Game Design Studio" WIPs - Commander Kuro is having his details 'picked out'

With my latest Marvel United super-hero completed, I've perhaps unsurprisingly started work on another one - Captain America. I actually thought I'd lost this figure from the core starter box as it wasn't with my previously partially-painted Iron Man model when I stumbled upon that recently, and I knew I had been working on the pair together in the past. Luckily, it was simply hidden away in another container, so it's been dusted down and placed at the front of my "CoolMiniOrNot" hobby queue.

I have also been reading a few issues of "G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero" by "Image Comics" lately, so on a whim picked up Commander Kuro by "Crooked Dice Game Design Studio" and decided to get the 28mm multi-part metal miniature tabletop ready. I'm not really sure where this particular project will take me to be honest. However, I do own a fair few of the company's other "Action Force" inspired sculpts, so perhaps I'll start a force of Red Shadows with Black Major leading them...

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic work on Blade Simon, he looks suitably dark and foreboding as is fitting for this character. Nice progress on Cap, and Kuro, which is a character I know nothing about, so was happy to read where he comes from ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I'm really pleased with how Blade's armoured suit turned out, as I think its just light enough to break up all the black leather.

      I know very little about either GI Joe or its UK equivalent Action Force myself. But hopefully as I start picking out and painting some of these models I'll learn and pass on that info as part of each character's posting. :-)

      Delete
  2. Super work (pun intended) on Blade sir, but he's mainly black so nuf'zed 😉.
    Good to see you working on another of my fave Marvel heroes too, in the good Captain.

    Never heard of Commander Kuro to be honest, for some reason GI Joe and Action Force never grabbed my attention (or pocket money) as a child, not sure why as I was big into Action Figures. That is a nice action posed figure though reminds me of "Bison" from Streetfighter II.
    😁

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. I was a bit worried about Blade being mainly Abaddon Black, hence the Neutral Grey armoured suit, and some green ink being used on a drain on the base - which sadly can't be seen in the pics. Cappy might take a while as there's quite a few colours to his MCU influenced costume.

      Commander Kuro is only CD's name for a fig which is clearly Black Major in Action Force - so that's probably why you don't know him. I too wasn't a fan of either GI Joe or Action Force as a youngster. But that's slowly changing now.

      Delete
    2. Same for me and MOTU to be honest. 😁

      Delete
    3. Yeah. I did see a bit of MoTU as a youngster. But again, it wasn't really my cup of tea. I was already into Dr Who by then, and that sated my sci-fi appetite.

      Delete