Wednesday 28 August 2024

"The Russians Must Have Been Most Flattered When In 1815..."

"...The Prussian army adopted the style and design of Russian uniforms."

This pair of 28mm scale metal models are sold by “Wargames Foundry", and can be purchased as part of the Newark-based manufacturer's RN023 Infantry in Oilskin Covered 1812 Shako Marching pack. The blister contains eight similar-looking Napoleonic Russian soldiers sculpted by Alan Perry, and these are the final two miniatures from the packet.

Sticking with the 'official' palette shown on the company's website, I primed them both using a double-helping of "Vallejo" Heavy Brown, before using a little "Citadel" Abaddon Black on their shoes and leggings, as well as their knapsacks, sabres and cartridge belts. As the figures had their coats open at the waist, I decided to paint one set of trousers with "Vallejo" Heavy Green, and the other with White Star by "Two Thin Coats". These areas were later sploshed with some "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green or heavily watered down Agrax Earthshade as appropriate.

"Wargames Foundry" WIPs - A nearly finished French Chasseur and newly started Russian Officer

The figures' leather straps and truly fiddly sword tassels were 'picked out' using "Two Thin Coats" White Star and shaded in (more) watered down "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. I then applied a smidge of "Vallejo" Gold to both the scabbards' tips and any visible shako straps, and gave all the models' greatcoats a positive drowning with "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. This clothing was later carefully dry-brushed them with (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Brown.

As part of my finishing touches to these models, I applied a combination of "Vallejo" Gunmetal and "Citadel" Nuln Oil to both their tin water bottles and musket barrels, and subsequently used "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade on the rest of their rifles. Lastly, I treated their knitted scarfs with a lick of "Vallejo" Sombre Grey and wash of "Citadel" Nuln Oil.

"You can't get away from me, Doctor."

Despite the time taken to pigment these miniatures, I have also managed to keep going on a fourth French Chasseur In Campaign Dress Advancing, and a Russian officer from RN021 Infantry in 1812 Shako Command. The light infantryman will help me fill out my unit of Chasseurs à pied to four fieldable figures. Whilst I thought it would be nice to have someone lead my now completed Russians - and potentially be used as a junior officer in Silver Bayonet by "Osprey Games".

In addition, I've cranked out what I believe to be my penultimate 28mm metal Sea Devil by "Black Tree Design". The figure comes from their DW1015 Sea Devils boxed set, and was painted using my usual mixture of "Vallejo" Verdigris, "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade, "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade, "Two Thin Coats" White Star and a small amount of "Vallejo" Pale Grey.

8 comments:

  1. Great work on finishing all the Russians you had Simon, and nice to see the progress on a leader for the squad and another French man, and another excellent Sea Devil, completed and by the sounds of it nearing completion on these as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I genuinely don't know how people crank out 24-figure units of Napoleonics in a couple of days. It takes me ages to work on just one. LOL!! Still - that's an 8-man unit for Black Powder done - though I probably need another 24+ to do the game justice.

      Just one more Sea Devil to finish and then I've found/dug out some old Crooked Dice models I'd really like to get completed - which are reasonably simple too.

      Delete
  2. Well done for completed the unit Simon, all those straps and details would have me tied up for ages. You are still painting eyes, I am seriously impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I do find these Napoleonic figures very time-consuming due to the way I like to paint. The eyes are a little doe-like these days. But I simply don't like 28mm faces without them, and from tabletop length, I think they look okay.

      Delete
    2. I do know what you what mean about eyes, some of the sculpts are so good that they almost dare you to paint them in. I found myself becoming more and more frustrated with the outcome though, even with magnification so will actively avoid them if I can.

      Delete
    3. Yes. I'm certainly at the point where 20mm or even true 25mm just get a wash - and perhaps if I was starting again I'd probably do something similar for the larger scales too. But I'm far too set in my ways these days to change. I do like the shakos which give a good shadow over the eyes mind - then I just need a couple of white dots to fool the human eye. LOL!!

      Delete