Thursday 6 March 2014

German Mech Grenadier Flamethrower

I've finished painting the first of two 28mm metal models found in the "West Wind Productions" blister G-SOTR34 German Flamethrowers. As with the majority of my models I first undercoated the miniature with "Coat D'Arms" Black and then painted the soldier's trousers and shirt with my usual combination of "Citadel" Foundation Adeptus Battlegrey and Nuln Oil. As I wanted the Heer Infantryman's flame-proof overcoat to slightly stand out from my German Army's usual grey colour scheme, I painted it using "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey before also washing these areas with "Citadel" Nuln Oil. Finally I used "Vallejo" Heavy brown" for the soldier's thick gloves and the straps on his tanks. 

As with the recent British PIAT gunner, I was tempted to simply paint this model's weapon entirely with "Citadel" Boltgun Metal and Nuln Oil. But having viewed some colour photographs of actual German flamethrowers in action, I eventually settled on using "Vallejo" Heavy Green followed by a wash of "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade for the flammable liquid tanks and main body of the incendiary device and just painted the nozzle with Boltgun Metal.
Over the next few days I hope to find time to start work on a mini-project involving these "Games Workshop" Sons Of Horus Sternguard Space Marines. They've just arrived having been something of a bargain on Ebay, especially as they come complete with "Forge World" Mark IV helmets - which alone seem to cost a pretty penny on the internet.

As you can see the models have arrived having already been glued together, undercoated and even had some green paint applied to certain areas. Having sought inspiration from the "Forge World" Horus Heresy painters guide and some interesting colour schemes I've seen on other blogs, these models will all be repainted to include gold armour plating and trimming, as well as red gloves and bolters. It's a pity these models weren't additionally converted with Sons Of Horus Mark IV shoulder pads but hopefully the paint scheme alone will pull them together as a single unit of the XVI Legion.

No comments:

Post a Comment