Monday 28 April 2014

"Judges Can Bleed Too"

Despite spending the past few days slowly progressing the small handful of the "Mongoose Publishing" Street Judge models I've set aside to paint this week, I've actually ended up finishing one of their figures from their 'Perps and Mercenaries' range first.

 Sold under the "Judge Dredd Miniatures Game" brand as MGP10183 Blitzer, or alternatively as JD20114 Mobster Blitzer by "Warlord Games", this 28mm metal miniature was reasonably simple to paint, despite some minor casting flaws on the inside of his clenched fist.

The model was predominantly painted with "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey and a "Citadel" Nuln Oil wash. His flesh was painted using an undercoat of "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone, which was then washed with an old pot of "Citadel" Ogryn Flesh, before being highlighted with more "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone. The majority of the mobster's gun was simply painted with "Citadel" Boltgun Metal and (more) Nuln Oil. But in order to break it up somewhat, the firearm's grip and under-barrel were painted using "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "The Army Painter" Quickshade Strong Tone.

Finally, and actually after some thought, I painted the model's hat using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Brown and (more of the) Quickshade Strong Tone ink by "The Army Painter". With this colour scheme in mind I now plan to later buy a second mobster miniature and paint it with an opposing brown suit with grey hat; the Blitzer brothers? 
 With a view to completing this week's painting goal of finishing five 25mm models, I've quickly based and undercoated a number of "Heroclix" plastic miniatures by "Wizkids". This is predominantly because I'm presently really struggling 'wrestling' with some of the casting/sculpting flaws I've encountered with the current batch of 'Justice Department' figures on my painting table. Therefore if my enthusiasm levels for the "Mongoose Publishing" models does fail, I can quickly complete these (essentially) single-colour super-heroes and arch-villains instead. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice work! I've linked your article in my own about the Blitzer - https://alkony.enerla.net/english/the-nexus/miniatures-nexus/miniature/miniature-figure/modern-gangster-with-submachine-gun-in-1-56-scale-mobster-blitzer-for-the-judge-dredd-miniatures-game-from-warlord-games-miniature-figure-review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kadmon. Nice to see people still looking at some of these early postings. I don't think the photo does either the sculpt or paint-job justice tbh. But I was still experimenting with my camera/lighting set-up back then.

      Delete